Summer’s end is fast approaching, but you still have some time to make it a memorable one! You’ll have to hurry if you want to squeeze in all of the hottest things about summer into the next few weeks, before the kids head back to school. Here’s a list of ideas for a late-summer rally of fun
You don’t have to spend tons of money to have a great time, so here’s some great ideas that won’t bust your budget.
- Go backyard camping. Gather your pals, pitch a tent, grab some sleeping bags, and head out your back door. While you won’t be able to have a campfire, there’s no reason to forgo the traditional campfire songs and tales. Of course include S’mores! Have a blast sleeping with the kids under the stars while enjoying the indoor plumbing just a few steps away!
- Close out the summer with a day at the Beach! It will feel like a mini-vacation (especially if you didn’t get away this year). Build a sandcastle or have a sandcastle contest with friends. Build a giant fort or get buried in the sand. Actually go in the ocean! Nothing feels better than coming home sun bleached, sandy and smelling like Coppertone.
- Before summer ends, it’s required that everyone attend a festival! There are tons of festivals or County Fairs taking place between now and the start of September. They all have free concerts, games, crafts, rides & petting animals. Don’t forget to enjoy some great carnival foods which can only be found in the summer time: cotton candy, corn dogs, snow cones and roasted corn!
- Watch the sun rise and set in the same day.
- Make hand squeezed lemonade. Or help your kids set up and old-fashioned lemonade stand.
- Fly a kite. Or tie a secret or wish to a balloon and let it go. Do it alone or gather kids in the neighborhood for a fun colorful activity.
- Go to the nearest park and have a picnic. Nothing beats hanging out on a blanket with your pals. Have everyone pack their fave foods. Don’t forget the Frisbee! August weather is perfect for a late summer picnic.
- Pack your kids in their PJs, bring your favourite snacks and head to a double bill at a drive-in theatre. Crank up the volume on your car stereo… And, talking is allowed!
- Take outdoor photos. Take pictures of everything you love about summer and make a book or collage that you can look at and smile when “Old Man Winter” arrives again.
- Get inspired by being outside. Find a special place that you enjoy and feel peaceful. Tap into your creative writing. Write a letter to an old friend, write a love letter to that special someone, write a poem or even a song.
- There’s nothing more beautiful that a clear summer night with a sky full of stars. Enjoy a night of stargazing. Look up the different constellations on line and try to find them or point them out to your kids.
- Give them containers to run around and catch fireflies.
- I love fresh summer fruit and produce. Stop at a roadside stand or farm and buy fresh picked produce and make an entire meal from it.
- Start that book you’ve been meaning to read for a long time and actually finish it!
- Make your own popsicles. It’s a fun activity that doesn’t take a lot of time. Try different juices and mixtures. And if you’re 21 you can even try adding a little booze!
- Attend an outdoor music concert. There are always tons of free concerts in the summer. Check out what’s happening in your local area. There nothing better than chillin’ out on a summer night listening to great music.
- Go on a rollercoaster. Nothing says summer like the laughter & squeals of joys as you zip around a rollercoaster. Make a “bucket list” with your friends and go on the top 5 rollercoasters in the area.
- Organize a water olympics. Invite your children’s friends and the neighborhood kids to join together in the back yard. Have a water balloon toss, sprinkler freeze tag. Plan a timed water balloon relay race (Get a Lux Timer at Amazon) and other games to cool off on a hot summer day.
- Before it’s time for books and homework again, do a family activity – something outdoorsy before the nice weather is gone for the year. Tour the countryside on your bikes, go for a hike, explore caves. There are also farms, orchards, lakes and parks to enjoy.
- Have the best.summer.ever.♥
And stay cool during these hot days of summer with the help of a new WIN100 Lux Products window AC programmable thermostat. The WIN100 plugs into a standard wall outlet and then you plug your window AC unit into the WIN100; the WIN100 will do a superior job controlling your AC unit and will help lower your energy costs! Take 10% off the WIN100 Thermostat for a limited time with coupon code LUX10SPC which includes free shipping!